After Study Activities
- Finished all your homework due over the next couple of days?
- Finished revising what you learned during your classes today?
- Worked on any upcoming assignments or tests?
- Checked your emails?
If you answered ‘yes’ to all of the above, and still have time before study ends, you may choose from the following activities.
Reading (Print books & magazines)
See Miss Davies or Mrs Chandler if you would like to go upstairs and choose a book from our collection.
We also have a selection of magazines available including Health & Wellbeing, National Geographic, HistoriCool & more.
Don’t know what to read?
Reading (eBooks & eMagazines)
Want more options?
- Visit the Extras for Booklovers page and scroll down to find more free eBook sites.
- Read the latest issue of SpineOut magazine
- Be entertained by the Santa Scoop blog (Password: Pubbles)
- S-Press Magazine (scroll down the page)
- Follow blogs such as those by Zoella, Tanya Burr, or Rookie Mag created by teen blogger Tavi Gevinson.
- There are heaps more blogs out there – find a blog that interests you and subscribe to follow it
Drawing or Colouring
We have a few books and loose pages available for you to colour, as well as coloured pencils for your use.
There are many books available from the SLRC to help you improve your skills, including:
- How to Draw Anything: A Complete Guide
- Manga Mania: How to Draw Japanese Comics
- Creating Textures in Coloured Pencil
- Fashion Illustrator
- How to Sketch Animals
- Drawing Optical Illusions, and many more!
Visit the following competition pages to discover what’s on offer:
Make sure to read the terms & conditions to see if you’re eligible, and ask your parents before entering
- Writing Competitions (win cash and other great prizes. Regularly updated)
- Aussie Educator: Student Competitions
- Dolly Magazine and Girlfriend Magazine competitions
Other current competitions you may be interested in:
- Design an Ad competition (closes Friday July 1st)
- Young Travel Writer competition (closes Friday June 24th)
- Children’s Book Council Make Your Own Story Book Competition (PP – Year 8. Closes Friday June 10th)
- ACMI Screen It Competition (closes 19th September)
- GenZ competition (closes Friday September 9)
- Chevron Focus Environment photography competition (closes Friday September 23)
Online Games & Sites of Interest
Choose from the following sites:
- Great Websites for Kids (games and sites of interest)
- ABC Splash Games: Years 7, 8 & 9
- Draw a Stickman
- Optical Illusions
- Scratch (computer programming software)
- Free Rice (for each correct answer, 10 grains of rice are donated to the World Food Program)
- Made With Code
Please see Miss Davies or Mrs Chandler if you have a suggestion to add the to list and we’ll check it out.
Puzzles (Sodoku, Crosswords etc)
Try these online sites:
Alternatively, there are print copies of puzzles available for you to complete, or check out the following books (available from the SLRC):
- Eye-Popping Puzzles
- Mensa Puzzle Challenge
- Deviously Difficult Mind-Bending Puzzles
There are knitting needles and wool available for your use.
A variety of books are available to help you get started, or try the following tutorials:
- The Art of Knitting A number of video tutorials, including how to hold the needles, making a slip-knot, casting on and more.
- Learn how to Knit in 8 Easy GIFs